Frequently Asked Questions

Who can enroll in an adult school?

Anyone who’s an adult! An adult is defined as 18 or older. There are no district boundaries, no tuition fees for many programs and no high school diploma is needed.

Do students need certain skills to qualify?

No. If students do not yet have the math, literacy or English-language skills to be successful in a high school prep class, many adult ed programs offer instruction in basic skills to get students ready.

Which classes are offered through adult education programs?

Students can get a high school diploma, general education diploma (GED), learn about jobs, learn to speak English, learn how to become a U.S. citizen, and more.

Are adult ed programs open to non-U.S. citizens?

Yes! In fact, many programs are aimed at giving recent immigrants the tools to connect with the community through ESL, citizenship and job skills classes. Napa Valley Adult Education School is open to all adult learners. Documentation to work is generally required by Napa Valley College for students enrolling in its programs; please contact Napa Valley College Admissions for more information.

I am unable to come to travel regularly either to Napa Valley Adult Education School or to Napa Valley College. What other options do I have?

Adult education is being expanded geographically to accommodate needs for those who have difficulty going to Napa. Options include:

  • Napa Valley Adult Education school offers classes in American Canyon, including ESL and High School Diploma classes.
  • Napa Valley Adult Education school recently launching the National External Diploma Program (NEDP) combined with in-person advising and assessment with online diploma completion.
  • Additional work is currently in progress to expand locations and offer other options.
What is an Adult Education Consortium?

The Napa Valley Adult Education Consortium (NVAEC) is a partnership between the Napa Valley Adult Education school (part of the Napa Valley Unified School District) and Napa Valley College. NVAEC is dedicated to assisting adults who want to improve academic skills while preparing for future education and training. NVAEC is dedicating to assisting students in overcoming academic barriers and prepare for the workforce, as well as improving opportunities for better and higher paid employment.

How much does it cost?

It depends on the program and school. Classes at Napa Valley Adult Education are free or low cost for adults 18 and older. Napa Valley College classes have registration costs and various fees, much lower than private colleges.

I haven't finished high school; what options do I have for a diploma/equivalency?

Options include:

  • High School Diploma for adults
  • GED® and HiSET® Test Preparation
  • NEW! Distance learning National External Diploma Program – offers flexible scheduling and distance (online) options!